- Artistic Education Development Program
- Read Time: 1 min
- Hits: 345
Summary of the implementation status of the Arts Education Development Program 2019-2030.
Arts education has been a priority of Cuban cultural policy since the beginning of the Revolution. This project of great social impact gave the possibility of specialized studies to young people with artistic talent from all over the country, which contributed decisively to the development of artistic education and Cuban culture.
As a result of the continuous improvement for the cultural policy implementation and its priorities based on the Development Program of the Ministry of Culture, the Program for the Development of Artistic Education during the period 2019-2030 has been launched with which we assume our social responsibility. Its projection is qualitative and is made concrete through precise indicators that allow its evaluation and control.
Our strategic projection has as main objective the fulfillment of the Mission that is to guarantee a solid integral formation in the pedagogical artistic branch, through a climate of high educational and cultural influences in the students development of their capacities and the ethical, aesthetic and political-ideological values capable of preserving and enriching the national culture.
This programme has a national scope, to the whole network of institutions of art education. Currently the subsystem is composed of 38 educational institutions:
- 12 Elementary Schools.
- 12 Middle Level Schools (6 of them National).
- 13 Elementary and Middle Schools.
- 1 University of Arts (ISA).
- 6 faculties.
- 3 Provincial subsidiaries.
- 1 Research Center.
At the elementary level, the specialities of Music, Dance and Ballet are taught, with an enrolment of 5,854 students. In the upper professional level, Theatre, Visual Arts and Circus are also included, with an enrolment of 2,983 students. Another training modality of the System is the 6 teaching artistic groups that form the professionals for their groups or companies, according to their needs. So far 35670 students have graduated from the various events.
The higher level in the University of the Arts, today has an enrolment of 1370 students and six faculties: Music, Visual Arts, Theatre Art, Dance Art, Audiovisual Media Art and Arts of the Conservation of Cultural Heritage and extends to other territories of the country with three branches in the provinces of Camagüey, Holguín and Santiago de Cuba. It also has the Study Center Nicolás Guillén, in Camagüey. The University of Arts, whose vision is to impact on the cultural and human development of Cuban society through the training of artists with the highest academic preparation and social commitment, has already graduated 6 228 cultural professionals. Its research and postgraduate strategy includes seven master's degree programmes and a doctor's degree program to meet the demand for national excellence and international services.
As a fundamental problem, this programme identifies insufficient effectiveness of actions to raise the rigour and quality of the main processes of the art education system.
Other difficulties arise, such as:
- Low effectiveness of some actions for the political-ideological training of teachers and students.
- Insufficient articulation between the different levels of the system.
- Problems of completion and quality of the cloisters, with little participation of the artistic vanguard.
- The improvement of programs in the specialty of music has not been completed.
- Insufficiencies in the processes of entry, leveling and job placement.
- Deficiencies in the specialized material and life bases.
- Little attention to students and graduates of the system.
- Non-compliance with the investment and constructive maintenance schedule approved in the restructuring policy of the network of centers.
The general objective of the Arts Education Development Program is to raise the rigour and quality of the main processes in the arts education system, in order to train professionals who are increasingly integral and useful for the construction of the model of society we defend.
It has 6 specific objectives that are broken down into 21 tasks, 60 actions and 90 criteria for measures:
- Raise the stability and the political, artistic, scientific and pedagogical preparation of the faculty.
- To train integral artists with a solid political, scientific, humanist and ethical preparation that articulates artistic excellence with their commitment to the socialist revolution.
- Improve the system of working with leaders and their reserves.
- To make efficient use of information and communication technologies, for their contribution to the political, scientific, humanistic and ethical preparation of students, teachers and non-teaching workers.
- To develop an International Relations strategy that generates mechanisms of cooperation and academic exchange.
- To raise levels of efficiency in economic management and in the management of human, financial and material resources in the institutional system.
In the process of implementing this programme, progress has been made on some indicators, but there is still much to be done.
There are difficulties with the completion and stability of the cloisters, their political, scientific and artistic preparation. Despite the efforts made, this continues to affect the quality of the process. In the 37 schools affiliated with the National Centre of Art Schools (CNEART), there are currently 3,305 teachers, of whom 223 are Social Service graduates, and the University of Arts and its affiliates have 703 teachers, including 32 Social Service graduates.
We must continue working together with AHS and UNEAC to achieve the incorporation of prestigious figures in the arts to our cloisters in different modalities as tutors, lecturers or teachers. Today, 150 artists who are members of UNEAC and 82 members of AHS throughout the country contribute to teaching.
It will be fundamental to advance more rapidly in the integration between the different levels to consolidate a system of joint work, in this effort to raise the rigor and quality of the main educational processes to train professionals who are increasingly integral and effective according to the model being built in Cuban society.
Artistic education has been added to the work in social networks with the permanent updating of contents; the follow-up of processes and campaigns organized by the highest leadership of the Party and UJC in the country, as well as by Ministries of Culture and Higher Education, among other institutions. In this same effort, mobile data lines and internet connections have been delivered to the main leaders of the system. The equipment was purchased and the FAMCA radio and television studio was installed, and relations with the ICAIC and the ICRT continue to be strengthened. Work is also being done to gradually solve the problems of deficit and obsolescence in technological equipment.
A significant fact is the participation of young people from all over the Artistic Education System in rallies, patriotic and revolutionary reaffirmation events, convened by political and mass organizations, the strengthening of community actions through workshops, artistic brigades, work in socially disadvantaged areas or areas affected by natural phenomena. Eight projects of the University of the Arts and 12 artistic brigades of the art schools are still active.
In the international projection, the prestige of Cuban art education is evident in the fact that our University presides over the Network of Art Universities in Latin America. Academic exchanges and technical assistance abroad are increasing. In this action a joint work has been developed with the Paradiso Agency and DArte. International events are also promoted such as: Stage Transfers and the ISA Scientific Conference, the Young Track event and the Meeting of Ballet Academies . Recently, the governmental agreement between Cuba and Italy for the Conservation and enhancement of the cultural heritage of the University's Faculty of Theatre Arts was signed. Five exchange agreements were signed with academies in Italy, Mexico, Portugal and Brazil for the use of the Cuban School of Ballet method. Academic exchanges were ratified with Mexico, Russia, Austria, Kazakhstan and France. The project "Plan de conservación Escuela de Arte Cubanacán" (Cuba-Italy) is in the approval phase.
Main tasks on which we must continue to work:
- Strengthening political-ideological work with teachers and students.
- Structural and functional improvement of art education.
- Completion of the table template and preparation of the reserve.
- Rigorous preparation of the cloisters with special attention to young people and their integration into the reserve of cadres.
- Strategy of stimulation and attention to teachers.
- Evaluation of the results of the experiment in the training of Art Instructors and re-elaboration of the proposal.
- To continue the improvement and validation of the plans and programs of study.
- Improvement of the process of admission to the different levels.
- Assurance of the specialized study material base (plastic arts and music accessories).
- Program of 1 facilities recovery.
Background of the Program:
The main historical background of this Program is six decades of institutional work in the responsibility of making our students grow professionally and train them as artists committed to art and its time, with quality, sensitivity and ethical values that promote the defense of Cuban cultural identity and respect for cultural diversity.We have to mention the main ones:
- National School of Instructors Art Foundation , March 1960.
- National School of Art Inauguration, July 1962.
- University of Arts Foundation (ISA), in 1976
- Creation of the Vocational Schools of Art (EVA) in the different provinces of the country, 1977
- The National Centre of Art Schools (CNEArt) is created in March 1989
- Creation of the artistic units - teachers (2007)
- The Policy for Artistic Education is implemented with the restructuring of Network Centres, from 2013.
- San Alejandro School of Visual Arts becomes the National School of Visual Arts. 2014
- The National School of Dance and the National School of Music are regional centres. 2014
The documentary sources that we have used to articulate this effort have been the policy approved for the Improvement of the System of Artistic Education; The conceptualization of the Cuban Economic and Social Model, based on the Objectives of the First Conference of the PCC and the Guidelines of the Economic and Social Policy of the Party and the Revolution VI and VII Congress of the PCC (164, 138); The Development Program of the Ministry of Culture from 2019 to 2030; Indications of the President of the State Council and Ministers Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez; Approaches to Congresses of the AHS and UNEAC.